The last week in March proved very stressful and challenging for me, I had to push and use up my reserve strength (forgive me, now I’m just coasting).
I am currently doing a diploma in Marketing Communications, it’s been an enlightening journey but a very demanding one I must add, it reminded me of how deep I had to dig for Operational Research (OR) back when I was writing my CIPM exams phew! So the deadline for this module was April 1 and as at March 28th I was nowhere near ready to submit my coursework- Marketing & Consumer Behaviour looked like a mountain I wasn’t fit enough to surmount, I was ready to waste the money and defer, didn’t have the emotional strength to start rushing.
So I mentioned this decision to defer to my friends (sister included) and I got the best support system anybody could wish for:
- One said you said no, don’t be lazy, you can do it, don’t complicate things, it’s easy, it’s just that you complicate things sometimes. Do the draft, send the work for me to proofread. Your ban on coffee has been lifted burn the night candles, you have it in you, she said I’m not having any of this crap, do your work and rest later!
- A friend said to me, you can’t waste money oh, this course you paid in Pounds and with the current situation in Nigeria.
- Another said come let’s crack this together what exactly is the problem there, a respected friend of mine said No, Tayo you can do this, she brought materials for me to use (talk about backing her words with actions).
- A friend of mine and classmate of mine (who had an idea of the pressure) was like, you can do this TemiTee, where is the challenge, I was too embarrassed to tell her how far behind but did and she pushed me, gave me some tips and quick wins, kept checking on me, it seemed everyone but me believed in me
- I dragged my sister (@youngmumsreverie), into this, a pure science professional, took it upon herself to read materials to help with this assignment, she kept apologising for the delay in getting back to me, she even dragged her hubs to help out.
In the midst of this madness, I realised I hadn’t done the first thing I should have done- I hadn’t committed this assignment to God’s hands. So in one of my late nights, I took time out to tell God about my frustrations.
If you don’t know what you’re doing, pray to the Father. He loves to help. You’ll get his help, and won’t be condescended to when you ask for it. Ask boldly, believingly, without a second thought. People who “worry their prayers” are like wind-whipped waves. Don’t think you’re going to get anything from the Master that way, adrift at sea, keeping all your options open.- James 1:5-8
In truth, I wasn’t going to worry my prayers.
So this experience had me thinking, that I have a really solid support system and a God who doesn’t need any form of back-up.
Your support system is your life’s UPS, they are the ones who charge you up when you are down and under and need a boost, who do you surround yourself with?
Are they people who will give you that boost or just drain the rest of your batteries? Are they people who will remind you and guide you to return to the light and the ultimate power source- God. Take a conscious step to surround yourself with the right people today. When the tables are turned, are you someone’s solid support system, do people look to you for that boost when they are low?
Then there’s God, the ULTIMATE light, He alone is responsible for ensuring you don’t breakdown in this race called life. He had outrightly said it:
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.- Matthew 11: 28-30
I’m glad to inform you that I met the deadline and submitted my assignment.